The Pushkin Club was established in 1953 by Maria Kullman and her brother and sister-in-law, Nicholas and Militsa Zernov, at 24 Kensington Park Gardes as a non-profit-making house for students and academics of all nationalities. In addition to providing lodgings, the house ran a program of recitals and lectures. In 1958 the Club moved to its present location at 46 Ladbroke Grove.
During a visit to Russia, Mark Sconce and his wife Nancy Bounds heard so much about Pushkin’s life and were so impressed by performances of is works that on their return home they decided to arrange a program commemorating the 160th anniversary of the poet’s death. The event, held at Nancy Bounds Studios in Omaha on February 2, 1997, was attended by 32 guests. Mark Sconce opened the program by outlining Pushkin’s life; and he was joined by Joan Hennecke and Jamie Lewis in reciting some of his works. The performance aimed at presenting “the whole man,” including excerpts from Pushkin’s lyric poetry, Eugene Onegin, The Bronze Horseman, and The Gypsies.